Ubisoft is committed to enriching players’ lives with original & memorable entertainment experiences. We build worlds that are a playground for the imagination, offering moments of surprise, fun and adventure as well as opportunities for learning and self-discovery. At Ubisoft, you’ll grow and collaborate with highly talented teams from around the world. Our massively friendly work environment will inspire you to go above and beyond to create worlds people will fall in love with. Whether as an elite spy, a master assassin, or a fearless explorer, we put the player at the heart of all our games.
Opening in Fall 2018, Ubisoft Winnipeg is the newest addition to the Ubisoft Canadian studios family, a collective of AAA game development teams dedicated to creating immersive, engaging worlds for our players around the world. Ubisoft Winnipeg will play a strategic role within the collective with a focus to develop tools and technology to power many of the most successful Ubisoft brands, including Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry and Watch_Dogs – all games based on an open-world and systemic gameplay approach. Ubisoft Winnipeg is on the hunt for pioneers excited to help grow a brand new studio from the ground up in one of Canada’s top cities for game development talent.
Procedural Technical Artist
The Procedural Technical Artist will populate autonomously the game worlds with already produced assets in accordance with the artistic direction and production deadlines. She/he will also create procedural tools for assembling dynamic assets and generating indoor/outdoor layouts. The Procedural Technical Artist will work mostly with Environment & Technical Art, Programming, Concept, Texture, Game and Level design teams to ensure that there are no technical problems met and to streamline the other team members' productivity and creativity.
Type of Position: Permanent, full-time.
- The main and routine tasks of the Procedural Technical Artist are to:
- Populate the game worlds with assets (vegetation, rocks, clutter, decals, props etc.), in accordance with the artistic direction and production deadlines;
- Create procedural tools for assembling dynamic assets, generating indoor/outdoor layouts, spreading road networks, rivers, streams etc.
- Apply optimization to her/his work and work within the engine constraints;
- Research and prototype useful methods for automatization of the development of game worlds with Houdini. Constantly keeping up-to-date with the changes in the game technologies;
- Act as a bridge between the Art, the Programming & the other teams in the studio;
- Apply efficiently graphic principles in her/his work;
- Use and look for artistic references - in video games or in other artistic domains - in order to improve the visual aspect of the game;
- Understand and implement the desired gameplay intentions in the game levels he/she's in charge of;
- Be flexible and able to adapt to different technical/engine pipelines.
Bachelor or College Degree in 3D Art or Animation or equivalent training or work experience.
- Minimum 5+ years as a Modeler, Level Artist, SFX Artist, Lighter or Character Modeler in video game.
- Participated in at least 2 full productions cycles.
- Games industry experience is preferred, having shipped title(s) on PS3, 360, PC.
- 3+ years of applicable professional experience as a Procedural Technical Artist/TD/tools programmer.
- Solid experience in Side Effects Houdini in procedural generation of graphical content;
- Understanding and applying the principles of procedural generation of graphical content in the game worlds;
- Understanding of code in Python, Vex or an equivalent language;
- Ability to work with technical constraints and integrate them into the procedural logic and tools;
- Excellent organizational skills;
- Good sense of form, shape, silhouette in regards to objects/layouts;
- Be able to anticipate the needs of the level artists in order to streamline their productivity;
- Good English (writing and speaking);
- Ability to think creatively in resolving technical challenges and limitations;
- Ability to manage their own time and work within deadlines;
- Able to work with minimum supervision.
- Solid communication skills and a strong team-player;
- Passion for games and a strong game culture.
- Competitive Salary
- Comprehensive Benefits Package:
- Disability Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Extended medical insurance
- (Optional) RRSP contribution
- Bonus (If Applicable)
We hunt for talent from across the industry – seasoned experts that know what it takes to ship world-class games and the next generation of game developer all-stars. We value team chemistry and a desire to grow our studio together. If this sounds like your kind of studio, what are you waiting for? Apply to join us now!
Ubisoft Winnipeg is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all interested parties. The studio welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodation upon request for candidates taking part in the recruitment process. We thank you for your interest, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No agencies please.